Event Planning Guide
Event management planning is a process that must be undertaken to ensure that the event, which has been decided on, is adequately conceptualized and planned for, and takes you through all the areas and activities that have to be planned, managed and executed to ensure that this is achieved. It is a process that starts with the conceptualization of the event and continues on through the planning phases where the ideas are formalized into action plans. These plans then have to be executed to ensure the successful staging of the event. This process is integral to effective Event management.
There are several aspects to planning for an event such as:
- Conceptualizing themes and ideas for the event – developing the ideas and themes that will guide the direction and planning for the event.
- Setting goals and objectives for the event – outlining the goals and objectives that will give focus as to how the event will be planned and executed. The goals and objectives form the basis of plans that would be developed to carry out the event.
- Coordination of details, people and resources to ensure that all that is needed for the event and the personnel to carry out the required tasks are all in place.
- Monitoring of budgets and deadlines to keep event costs under control and make sure that the event plans stay on schedule and within budget.
- Onsite event management on the day(s) of the event, appointing a site manager where necessary to manage the event site and to oversee preparations for the event.
- Evaluation and follow up after the event has taken place.
These different aspects of planning and managing of an event will be examined as we progress through this event planning guide.